Video conferencing is useful for connecting an entire room of people to one or multiple locations online. A small number of the general purpose classrooms have technology installed ready to complete these calls. Those rooms are the following:
By scheduled your call in advance, the system will dial out to connect with those online. Be sure to submit your request at least one week prior to your call. Continue reading below instructions on how to use the video conference equipment during your call and additional support resources.
Operating video conference equipment
A quick start guide is available in the room, but can also be viewed here. This section attempts to provide a more in-depth overview for use of the system.
Each room features a dual display system for normal classroom presentation. A video conference will use the audience Left Display for the video call.
Additionally, you will have the ability to operate the camera, select the best microphones settings and adjust the incoming audio of the call.
- To enter a call, press “Start Video Conference.” Scheduled calls will be live. If you need to dial out use the keypad provided or press “keyboard” to type in an address.
- Check the microphone setup. The ceiling microphone is on when the green light is present.
- To eliminate unwanted noise from the room, you may want mute the ceiling microphone and instead, use a microphone from the drawer. (You can also choose to use both.)
- Check the camera settings. You can select either the instructor camera to show a view of the front of the room or audience camera to show the seating area.
- Choose a presentation source to share content with distant participants. When finished sharing a presentation source, only camera images will be shared when the presentation source is off. Confirm with distant participants that video and audio are working properly.
When finished with the video conference, return microphones to charging base in the drawer. Select “Exit Video Conference” to disconnect the video conference and turn off the system.
Selfview: toggles instructor self-image on the screen (thumbnail picture)
Adjust Volume: Adjusts the volume of up to three sources:
Video Conferencing: Adjusts the volume coming from the remote site through the in-room system
Web Conferencing: Adjusts the volume of incoming audio from a web conferencing call as provided by the red USB cable.
Privacy: All audio sent out from the room can be toggled from “Outgoing is Live” to “Outgoing is Muted” and back: : Switches to video conferencing mode in which the audience left display is used for call.
Mics: This sub-menu allows for muting individual microphones and adjusting the level of either handheld mic.
If a call is in-progress and you have connection issues, contact OIT’s technical support line at 612-626-4444, option 1.
Setup and scheduling
If you have questions about setup or would like to schedule an equipment consultation, contact the Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 or email@example.com.
Web conferencing—it's different
Each of these rooms also has a USB cable to allow any computer to connect to the audio and video to conduct a web conference. If you are looking for support for web conferencing using a web-based app or program (e.g. Google Hangouts, Zoom), learn about web vs. video conferencing.
Find this feature
Use Room Search to find out the specific equipment that can be found in a specific classroom.