Apple TV enables you to display presentations from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad) or Apple computer using the wireless network. While the instructor stations in all general purpose classroom are ready to work with an AppleTV, you will need to supply your own Apple TV unit, prepare it for network use, and connect it to the projection system so that you and your students can present wirelessly.
Prepare for network use
Like other streaming devices, an Apple TV can be registered to connect to the University network. Read more from OIT here to set up your device for wireless presentation.
Connect to the classroom
- Plug in the power cable from the Apple TV to the instructor podium.
- Connect your Apple TV to the network in one of the following ways:
- Wifi: Join the wireless network (This may already be configured during your device setup.)
- Ethernet: Use the provided network cable at the instructor station. The jacks in general purpose classrooms are configured to allow the Apple TV to broadcast to those joining via Eduroam.
- Connect the Apple TV to the instructor station as a presentation source. The simplest way to do so is using an HDMI cable if one is present.
- Press the corresponding Presentation Source button on the control touch panel to turn on the projection system. Again, this will likely be “HDMI” unless an adapter is used.
- Follow these instructions from Apple to mirror a device’s display or AirPlay content from a compatible app. Remember to check that your device is connected to wifi via Eduroam.
If you have questions about Apple TV in general purpose classrooms, please contact the Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why isn’t my streaming content working?
As media sources change how videos are encoded, there may be some content that doesn’t allow for playback via Apple TV. If you have questions about Apple TV use in general purpose classrooms, please contact the Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 or email@example.com.